Getting started…the destruction phase!

I’ll never forget my partner’s Dad’s words…

“I’ve just devalued your house by about £40k in 48 hours!”

Eeeeek!

The pace at which two guys managed to dismantle the walls and ceilings was quite frankly unbelievable! The house was a shell of its former self in what felt like minutes.

At first, we thought we would simply need to redecorate, but soon discovered that the existing walls were constructed of lath and plaster (narrow strips of wood are nailed to the stud walls or ceiling joists and are then coated with plaster – very old fashioned!).

While we could have simply painted or wallpapered over this, our builder suggested we do a ‘proper job’ (said in a Devonshire accent), and start with a clean slate. It was going to be a lot more time consuming, but would provide us with a much better finish, so we happily took his advice.

It was a messy process to say the least, causing a mega tonne of dust, with rubbish filling reams and reams of rubble bags. However, the latter could be used as kindle wood, which saved us many trips to the recycling centre, as many friends and relatives were quick to take this off our hands.

If you’ve gone through a renovation yourself, you’ll know that the sheer amount of tidying required seems never ending, but there is something so satisfying about removing all the old material. Very cleansing for the soul!

For the most part, the structure of the house would be staying the same, but there were a couple of walls that needed knocking down completely, to achieve our desired layout.

In my previous post, you can see how the house looked when we purchased it, and you will find a photo of the tiny bathroom. It was important to us that this room was made bigger, so we decided that we would extend into the second bedroom, by the width of a shower tray.

The idea was to install a walk-in shower with a glass panel to give the illusion of more space. We removed the studwork here, and in the photo below you can see the makeshift timber marker on the floor, which shows where the new divide will sit.

The next wall on the deconstruction list was the one that separated the kitchen from the dining room. We had lusted after an open social space so this was our answer! Luckily for us, it was a badly constructed breeze block wall (it had been part of an extension), so it fell down without too much effort. The door into the dining room would later be boarded up so that there was just one entrance into the new hub of our home.

Admittedly, this hasn’t been the prettiest of blog posts, but I think there’s something so fascinating about seeing the stripped back insides of an older property, and what really goes into renovating a home behind the scenes!

If you have a similar post sharing your renovation journey, I’d love to read, so please share in the comments below.

2 thoughts on “Getting started…the destruction phase!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s