Blimey… it’s been almost two months since I last blogged. You can tell that life is starting to return to some form of normality after lockdown, whatever that might be!
Anyway, I’m desperate to tell you all about the next phase of our renovation, so I’ve managed to secure a bit of peace and quiet this Sunday afternoon to finally get it written down.
Just as a recap, in case you haven’t read my latest renovation post, the plasterers had been and gone, and the first fix of electrics had been completed. Most walls were now reinstated and our 1930s shell was starting to look more like a house once again.
So firstly, say hello to our new doors! These oak beauties from XL Joinery have been hung in every room of the house (as well as a glass panel version from our hall into our dining room) and they really tie everything together. The soft wood tones with our chrome handles from Dale Joinery create a stylish consistency throughout and are a certain improvement from the hollow walnut doors of my nightmares that were left previously!
The next step following the plastering was mist coating! It’s amazing how much of a difference this phase makes. The rooms feel like they double in size and you really start to realise their potential. This is an essential step if you’ve freshly plastered so make sure not to miss it if you’re doing a renovation yourself. Simply water down a white emulsion paint to seal the walls and prevent any peeling.
It’s so funny looking back at our archive of photos as I can remember the excitement as each puzzle piece was added and the finish line became closer and closer. It’s such a warm fuzzy feeling so I apologise if I describe 90% of the renovation works as ‘exciting’.
We wanted a luxury feel to our bathroom so these marble effect tiles from B&Q were the perfect choice. Available in two shades, we used the darker tiles for the floor, and the lighter ones for the walls in order to create a bit more depth. We also thought the grey tones would suit the chrome taps and fittings that we had chosen.
However, while certain elements were coming together, there was still major destruction downstairs… check out the alfresco toilet! Don’t you agree that it’s a rather strange choice to put a downstairs loo in the kitchen? Safe to say we pulled that out rather quickly to gain more space and move the unpleasantness away from our cooking space!!
As mentioned before, the flooring levels in this space were ridiculously uneven so it was necessary to knock through the concrete flooring, so our builder could add floor joists to sort the issue. Fortunately for us, there were plenty of salvageable floorboards throughout the property, so we planned to reinstate these in our kitchen/diner. Restoring as much of the house as possible was really important to us, so to be able to reuse the floorboards was an absolute dream.
Here’s a further peek at the marble tiles on the walls and parts of the bathroom being installed. We actually reused the toilet from the previous owners as it was pretty new – a little cost saving (although we replaced the seat, don’t worry!)! I won’t say too much more about the bathroom, but I couldn’t help but show off a little more of the progress!
I’ve already gushed about the floorboards quite a lot in this post so it wouldn’t be fair to leave you without featuring them! There was a real mixture of colours from where they’d been painted over the years but nothing an industrial sander wouldn’t sort. Look how well they’ve all pieced together – they’re really going to help open up the space while pulling the two separate rooms together in one space.
Well, I think I’ll have to leave you on a bit of a cliffhanger here, as you’ll need to come back soon to see the finished floorboards, but hopefully it’s been interesting to see a little more of our journey.
However, if you have any questions at all about our renovation, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment, and I’ll be more than happy to help!